Gardeners

Gardeners
Rosebowl

The Incorporation of Gardeners of Glasgow with its motto: "Gardening the First of Arts", is one of the fourteen Craft Guilds which together form the Trades House of Glasgow.

About the year 1605, on an application from a number of "practical gardeners", the Craft obtained a charter from the Burgh of Glasgow, conferring the usual rights and privileges. Unfortunately, this charter was lost in 1646 when the Deacon was infected with the plague at that time raging in the Town, and sent to the "Foull Moor" to be cured.

By a new Seal of Cause dated 1690 the exclusive trading privileges within the burgh were reconfirmed, and these were enjoyed down to the passing of the Act in 1846 for the abolition of exclusive privileges of trading in burghs in Scotland.  Thereafter the objects of the Incorporation assumed an entirely benevolent character and membership is not now restricted.

The care of its pensioners, providing annual prizes and travelling scholarships for gardening apprentices and students of horticulture are at the forefront of the Craft's work today.  The Gardeners also gives charitable support to a number of other causes with a horticultural connection.

Some years ago the Gardeners introduced the "Let Glasgow Flourish" award scheme under which Certificates of Excellence at three different levels are presented to those commercial, industrial or institutional organisations within the City which create and maintain an arboreal or floral display of high standard for the benefit of public. The awards are available for projects from simple window-box displays to impressive and ambitious gardens and are keenly sought after. The Craft was also instrumental in helping to initiate support for the Trades House Expedition to Papua New Guinea in 1987 and the botanical exhibition which followed it in 1988.  This project led by a team from Glasgow University brought back a number of unique botanical specimens.  To mark the Millennium, The Millennium Garden, instigated and funded by the Incorporation was created in co-operation with the University of Strathclyde and is situated at the university's campus at Rottenrow.

Among its many members continuing to profess an interest in gardening is HRH The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay, who is an Honorary Master of the Incorporation.

Charity number: SC004606