The Weavers of
date back to the middle ages when members of the craft were those
entitled to make and sell woven clothes within the ancient burgh.
The craft became incorporated by a charter from the famous
Archbishop Gavin Dunbar as feudal lord of Glasgow in 1528, but is
known to have been in existence at least as far back as
1514. Even in those days, when their main function was to
control standards in the weaving trade, the Weavers also had a
charitable role "to help and comfort of their decayit
brethereine... and other godlie shows". This work has
continued right up to the present day.
On 9th March 2014 the Incorporation
of Weavers of Glasgow celebrated its 500th Anniversary.
To maintain its links with the
modern textile industry, the Incorporation takes a keen interest in
the support of promising young people likely to make a contribution
to this, important Scottish industry.
To this end it funds a number of
grants, scholarships and prizes for textile students at the
University of Strathclyde, Glasgow School of Art and Langside and
Cardonald Colleges, Glasgow, and also sponsors the Weaver's
Cottage, Kilbarchan, run by the National Trust for Scotland. It
also funded (in the years 2002-2005) part of the cost of weaving
tapestries for Stirling Castle.
The Craft also makes substantial
grants and donations to charities as well as maintaining its
Apart from its educational and
charitable works, the Craft maintains a long term fellowship of
members (male and female) by participation in a number of social
and sporting functions and sends four representatives yearly to sit
in the Trades House.